Jeremy E. Ray Post 324
Jersey Village, TX
October 8th, 2023
Regular Meeting – Minutes
Commander Stefanie Otto called the meeting to order at 1600 hours. There were 9 officers present:
Commander Stefanie Otto
1st Vice Commander David Pyke
2nd Vice Commander Open
Service Officer – Bill Brown
Adjutant Terry Coon
Finance Officer Michael LaRose
Sgt-at-Arms Wayne Huebner
Chaplin Richard Ater
Judge Advocate Trey Pryor
Historian Robert Howard
And 13 other members and 2 visitors for a total of 25 were
present. A quorum was met, and the meeting continued.
Adjutant Terry Coon requested a motion to forgo reading the minutes from
the last meeting by distribution of minutes via email to all members. Bill Brown motioned to accept the minutes and it was seconded by Jerry Roberts. Motion was then passed by
Finance Officer: Michael LaRose reported that the available funds
of Post 324 were $8,542.31 as of 09/10/2023 (not including the $500.00 set aside for Veterans in need and $57.00 restricted funds for Women’s Auxiliary.) Motion to accept finance report pending
further audit was made by David Pyke and seconded by Bill Brown. The motion passed by membership.
1st Vice: Nothing to report.
- Thank you, Ken George for the feedback on the PAC act help. It is great to hear how I can help.
- I have flyers for an Urgent Care provider where I went when I contracted Covid. I learned that this provider and others are approved
under your Veterans Medical without having to call the VA for approval first. They can also give you up to 14 days of a prescription that is covered by the VA.
- Extended ID’s that have expired by Brance of Service can be renewed with the RAPID system online. Mike Larose added that if greater
than 65 days you are required to enroll in Medicare part A and B. Ellington field has an in person office for appointments to renew your id.
Sgt of Arms: Nothing to
Judge Adjutant: Nothing to report.
Historian: Nothing to
Chaplin: Nothing to
New Members: New member Willie Washington
from Marine Corp.
- Veteran’s Day Parade on Saturday November 11th. We can meet up at 8am at the Champion Forest Baptist Church along 290 and
car pool down to Kroger at 1440 Studemont Street. You can also meet us at Kroger by 9am to ride in the truck at 9:30am to parade staging. Waiting for a response from the city on the
ability to throw candy or trinkets. Wear any one of your Red, White, or Blue shirts and your cover. Bill Brown requested an instruction sheet with a map for meeting up with the Scouts who will
be walking with the truck. There is dinner at Chilies on 290 after the parade.
- Stocking Santa items needed see Irene Infante. Irene requested label data to print place on stockings. Terry Coon
- Membership goal progress is at 59% with a next mark to hit 75% by end of November.
- The T-shirts are in so please see me (Commander) to get what you ordered.
- D.E.C. is on October 21st in Tomball TX VFW at 11408 Alice Drive. Breakfast and Lunch will be
- Officer of the quarter is being presented on Monday October 23rd at the Jersey Village Council meeting at 7pm. Wayne
added that one is picked from the Jersey Village Police Department each quarter.
- Oratorical data has been sent to Speech/Debate Teachers for Freshmen to Senior students. Irene Infante added that she would like to
visit 5 schools to help if you pass on the information. She can do this before the end of the month. Wayne will help the lead, Jimmy Baughman and Robert Howard accomplish the event.
Offer this to the Scouting troops we charter.
Good of the Legion:
- Commander: The Navy’s Birthday is October 13th. October 23rd is officer of the quarter. November
5th is Day Light Savings end. November 7th is election day so get out and vote. November 10th is the Marine Corp birthday. November 11th is
- The December 12th meeting will be at a Restaurant for lunch with Family unless someone has a better idea such as potluck.
Bill Brown presented an idea to cater from Carl’s BBQ. A group of us will have dinner there after November’s meeting to check it out.
- Due date for Blued Santa is December 12th but will check with HPD if they need more toys.
- 4th quarter in VA hospital they need t-shirts and socks.
- Dollar General may offer a Veteran’s Discount. Check for places that offer discounts for the toys. Don’t forget the preteen
- Irene Infante will have a pillow sewing session on October 28th at St. Jerome.
- Bill Brown spoke to the request from the Scouts for an event/project for a year. This should be something we could work with them on
- Lawn Mowing
- Clean up walkways in Jersey Village (must be troops in Jersey Village) 1290, 426 and 1150.
- Please send ideas to Bill Brown
- Wayne Huebner added Urgent Care for VA and Pharmacy access that calling and checking with the location before going.
- Trey Pryor spoke on the bus trip to Rosenburg when 5 post members and 15 church members went for a very enjoyable time. December 2dn
is Shopping and tour of Brookwood then lunch in Katy at Midway BBQ. After dark we will go to the Pecan Grove light display. In January the 26th will be a trip to Huntsville for
the Veteran’s Museum which has the smaller Vietnam Wall exhibit. More to come in March and May.
There being no other business, the meeting was adjourned at
approximately 1658 hours. Our next scheduled meeting will be on Sunday, November 12th at 1600 hours (4pm) at VFW 8905, HWY 290 next to Carl’s
Terry Coon, Adjutant